Friday, April 22, 2011

The Chiptune

For those who aren't familiar with my tastes in music, I typically listen to music somewhere in between (and including) classical and electronic. I've purposefully left this really vague. My preference for music is eclectic to say the least. I've been introduced to a great collection of music over the past few years, compliments of my friends, and artists like Armin Van Buuren Kaskade, Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Imogen Heap (& Frou Frou), Inna, (et le contraire) Massenet, Vivaldi, Holst, Fauree, etc.

Today, I discovered the classification of this genre of music, and I've become increasingly interested in this music: Chiptune. Summed up, it's video game music for the sake of the music, not the game. It started with Pixel Vision. I actually thought there was a game to go along with it (alas there isn't). The album is available for free (his own doing) here.
Another artist (to whom I credit my 'discovery') is Demoscene Time Machine. The third song on the soundcloud list actually has a video game!

I will definitely be exploring more of what's available in this genre, and I suggest you do too. They even have variants like Chipstep, the logical combination of dubsteb and chiptune.

No comments:

Post a Comment